- Insurances We Accept
- Offers and WorkShops
- What To Expect
- Insurances We Accept
- Offers and WorkShops
- What To Expect
About Phoenix Mental Health LLC.
Hi, my name is Lynn Varela.
Thank you for coming to my page!
I was raised on the beautiful island of Puerto Rico, I attended Catholic schools, and embraced the rich Hispanic culture. My upbringing provided me with a respect and an appreciation for other cultures.
One of the things I take pride in is achieving self-actualization. Through being adopted and experiencing many transitions in life, I have undertaken my own journey. I became a therapist to “pay it forward” so others who have been through difficult times, whether due to trauma, adjustment difficulties, or transitional periods in life, can live their life to the fullest.
Issues I’m confident in and trained to address are:
- Trauma (layers of difficult experiences beyond your control or ability to deal with, finding yourself not able to function in life, feelings of disconnect and emotional numbness, feelings of chaos)
- Difficulties attaching to others
- Difficulties building meaningful relationships
- Experiencing trust issues
- Attachment and inner child work
Facing difficult issues or asking for help in life is hard, and, in some cases, is not within cultural norms. You may feel:
- That you are supposed to keep it in the family
- That you, and only you alone, are supposed to be strong and pick yourself up by your bootstraps
You’re not alone, I was raised this way also. Most importantly, I’ve come to realize and benefit from asking for help. With my assistance, we will start peeling back the onion to a life worth living.
Read more about my specialties.
- Doctorate in Educational Psychology, Walden University (in progress)
- Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling, Palm Beach Atlantic University, Summa Cum Laude
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration with a minor in marketing, Universidad del Sagrado Corazón in Puerto Rico
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR), EMDRIA
- Couple Communication and Prepare Enrich, Palm Beach Atlantic University
- Clinical Supervisor, Florida Board of Social Workers, Mental Health Counselors, and marriage and family therapists
- STAR trauma therapist, Chrysalis Health
- Trained in adult abuse and neglect
- Provider of trauma informed care, Relias Learning, LLC
- Advanced training in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Teen Treatment Center
- Domestic and partner abuse interventions
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional
- Treatment of personality disorders certified (specialization in Borderline Personality Disorder)
Relevant Career Path
- Therapist/Supervisor, private practice, Phoenix Mental Health, LLC, provide licensed counseling, supervision, clinical assessments and consultations.
- Therapist and intern supervisor, Teen treatment center, treated teenagers with dual diagnosis of substance use, personality disorder features and/or trauma.
- Therapist, Chrysalis Health, , provided individual and family therapy to those in the community that had DCF involvement resulting from reports of abuse, and worked towards healing wounds to reunify families. Specialized in the treatment of victims of sexual abuse.
- Clinical Director of DJJ program, oversaw mental health and substance abuse programs for youth offenders.
My name is Alicia Latty, I was born and raised in Jamaica, where I saw what a lack of access to health care did to the population. People were unaware of the mental illness they were suffering from. Even if they were aware they didn’t have the access or the finances to get the help they needed.
These unfortunate occurrences are what lead me to pursue my career choice in counseling. Specifically, I’m developed expertise to help others with:
- helping children and families who have experienced trauma (family violence, verbal abuse, neglect)
- sexual abuse and human trafficking
- physical abuse and associated injuries
- Domestic violence
- Marriage/Couple and family issues
- Personal Disorders
- Depression/Anxiety and mood disorder
- Anger Management
- Stress and home, school and work-related issues
- Humanistic - I help you to achieve your highest potential. I emphasize your self-growth and self-actualization. I focus on the belief that you have control over your own destiny. I show genuine care and interest to help you find meaning in your life by focusing on free will, responsibility and self-determination.
- Psychoanalysis – addresses the unconscious forces that drive behavior. You’ll get to freely talk to me about whatever comes to your mind without censoring (free association), we’ll get to explore your dreams for important information about self (dream analysis) and tap into your hidden feelings (transference).
- Behavioral Therapy – focus on learning response, by changing unwanted and destructive behaviors through behavior modification techniques.
- Cognitive Therapy – I focus on how you think and help you change negative thoughts and feelings and we will be oriented toward problem solving. We work on present situation and distorted thinking that leads to mental illness such as anxiety, personality, eating, and substance abuse disorders.
You may be experiencing feelings of:
- Do you feel like you are on your last leg, like this is your last-ditch effort?
- Like you have given up hope
- Lose your sense of self
- Have told yourself that “I’m unfixable”
- I am alone
- No one understand what I am going through
In working with me, you’ll experience full engagement, dedication, and the motivation on my part to increase your sense of self, hope, and wellbeing.
It is my mission to assist you in getting you hope back, increase your sense of wellbeing.
You are not alone, and you can get passed this. You don’t have to live with these feelings anymore. There is something else on the other side.
I utilize several counseling approaches to work with my clients, such as, psychoanalysis therapy approach, behavioral therapy, cognitive therapy, humanistic therapy, and integrative therapy to interpret a client’s behavior, feelings, and thoughts; to help them navigate their journey from trauma to post-trauma. I strive to help individuals achieve the goals they have in mind for themselves. I am highly effective at working with young people and adults as well as engaging people in the process of positive change. Engaging, motivated, dedicated, health and wellbeing, on their last leg and this is their last-ditch effort, “I’m not fixable, lost hope, broken, given up all hope, giving them back their hope, self of well-being, their sense of help, understanding they are not alone and can get passed, they don’t have to live with these feelings, There is something else on the other side.
I have years of working with diverse population, confidence, will be with every step of the way, the whole journey,
Walden University (PHD in Psychology) In Progress
100 S Washington Ave #900, Minneapolis, MN 55401
Telephone: 1 (443) 537-1347
Palm Beach Atlantic University December 2011
Masters in Psychology with specialization in Marriage, Couple and Family Therapy, Addictions and Mental Health Counseling
901 South Flagler Drive, West Palm Beach, FL 33416
Excellent and Professional
I don’t know what I would have done if I did not find Lynn. She is an excellent woman and therapist. Lynn genuinely cared about my mental health and it was all about what worked best for me. If something didn’t work for me, Lynn would be going to the next suggestion and what could help improve my life and what coping skills were best for me. My life has improved tremendously ever since I have met Lynn and I wouldn’t want it any other way. I cannot thank her enough for what she’s has done for me and my life.
Excellent and professional
I am sure grateful for Lynn Varella she has helped me greatly how to deal with life and focus on the positive instead of negative..now I have a better positive attitude out of life and within myself.
Excellent professional care and friendly
I am very grateful for Lynn Varella who helped me regain control of my life. Through several sessions of EMDR, I was able to desensitize and decrease my panic attacks and anxiety episodes. She taught me how to utilize coping mechanisms to prevent my anxiety from escalating. She was very friendly, caring, professional, knowledgeable, and very easy to talk too from the moment we met. I highly recommend her to anyone who is suffering from anxiety and panic disorder. In addition, I highly recommend EMDR therapy and Lynn Varella is excellent at what she does.
Down-to Earth, Intelligent, Supportive, but No-Nonsense
Alicia was able to help me look at my life in a different light and from a different angle. She created a safe and secure environment where I was comfortable sharing and being completely honest. She is not only compassionate, but her greatest gifts are her intelligence and worldliness. She is able to draw from both secular and spiritual knowledge bases, and she supports what she says with evidence and text. Her life experience greatly outweighs her years, and her confidence and self-love rubs off. She helps you to love yourself and make positive choices without regret. Whether you are struggling with significantly troubling experiences or you just need someone to talk to, she is always there. I recommend her wholeheartedly, and I consider her my dear friend.
Alecia is outstanding. She will truly help you get to the core.
Alecia has been the most intuitive, supportive and caring therapist I have ever encountered. I have been in and out of counseling for 20 years dealing with multiple life issues. Alecia is the first in all of these years to get to the very core of what has been causing a revolving door called my life. She has assisted and supported me in truly facing the why. She has always encouraged and welcomed true honesty without judgement. I can not express my gratitude for where I am today. I am a stronger, more confident and secure woman that can face hard issues head on now. When I walked through Alecia’s door a year and a half ago, I was broken, in my mind beyond repair. Alecia helped me realize my value and worth. I highly encourage you to have Alecia as your therapist as she is not only intelligent and knowledgeable, she truly has a gift and will be there to help you help yourself.
Do yourself a favor and experience greatness
I came into the process from a skeptical perspective at first. I believed it would work, but I was very surprised by how truly effective the EMDr and therapy treatments actually were. I came into this experience with a lot of hard and heavy baggage, which was interfering with my life to such an extent that I barely ever left my house. Thanks to the incredible work that was put in by Miss Valera, I am able to cope with the trauma as my past and not my present. Her very direct, but open approach, is extremely efficient for producing optimum results. Not once did I ever feel judgment, condescension, a careless heart, or anything that even remotely felt off-putting. This is a physician who truly cares about your life recovery, from where you start and where you land, to achieve the potential in a tangible gradient that I could scale after every session. If you have PTSD, like I went for, then there is truly, and with utmost sincerity, nobody that has come within a grain of sand on the beach of my trauma except Lynn. In fact, the beach just carries fragments of seaweed and debris as opposed to the dredged briar waste that rested on it before. Thank you Miss Valera for letting me see “my ocean” again.
Emotionally Supportive & Responsive Network
Thank you for providing clear and deliberate counseling during each of our interactions. The environment is supportive and during each visit, I felt a deep sense of welcoming. During each session, there was open dialog and clear acceptance of each subject discussed. No matter the content, there was acceptance. Having a supportive voice of confirmation greatly assisted with making those challenging decisions seem more clear and those emotional storms more withstanding. During the difficult times, I was able to call my provider directly; she provided much-needed emergency conference during moments of need. Having an effective, well-trained, and emotionally intelligent team there to help makes all the difference. Thank you again.
Professional and knowledgeable
I came to Phoenix Mental Health with a lot of past trauma that had not been resolved by previous therapists. I felt scared and overwhelmed by the thought of having to delve into it all but working with Ms. Varela made it easier. She put me at ease and has been able to help me navigate it all while being professional. I have recommended her to many of my friends who are struggling and those who took my advice have not regretted it.
Very understanding, caring, and flexible
We are seeing Lynn for PTSD issues my son and I are experiencing. She is very understanding, and so flexible in scheduling. Even when we aren't in a session, if I have an issue or a question, she can be reached by phone or email. She is very easygoing and personable and I really can't imagine going anywhere else and feeling this level of ease.
Professional and Welcoming Environment
This is a top grade organization. I began visiting Phoenix a few months ago and I haven't regretted the decision one bit. The guidance and coaching providing were top class and I didn’t feel rushed at any point. In comparison to other locations I've visited, I didn't feel like I was being pushed to meet some strict timeline or limited on my discussion topics. There is clearly a willingness to help. I was able to schedule an appointment at a last minute’s notice due to a specific event; my counsellor was more than understanding she extended her work hours to fit my schedule. I’m truly grateful for all the help I’ve received.
I was going through a hard time at work and personally. Mrs. Varela really helped me to work through the difficulties and gave me another way of seeing my issues. I had begun to give up and she gave me new hope. Thank you so much for all of your help. It has been a great experience.
Extremely Great Organization
The office was easily located and the environment was both friendly and welcoming.Talking with Ms. Latty was a great experience! I felt as if though she was there to provide aide and recovery instead of filling a time slot. Thank you!
I sought treatment and counseling after a life changing event with my family. I held a lot of guilt and kept holding myself responsible for issues that were outside of my control. After starting my therapy sessions with Alicia I have been able to develop new coping mechanisms and have been able to move forward with my life and my family. She has given me the tools to see that things outside of my control are not my fault and that I can move forward. We have been working on some ongoing family issues and she offers insight and an unbiased, outsider's perspective that is refreshing and helpful. She has a no nonsense approach that I find energizing and supportive. All in all, I am very happy with the direction we are headed.
My experience with Miss Alicia has been one that I would have never expected. I was always the typical never let anyone see your weaknesses kind of a guy. Always going from one bad relationship to the next. She has a non threatening way of calling you out on your bs and making you see things from a healthy perspective. For the first time in my life I am able to see the light in the darkness and work hard to achieve my goals. She has made me realize that I can live a happy, fulfilled and normal life. An educated person with the proper tools can avheive truly amazing things. Mine and my family's lives have never been better, its a work in progress but it seems like it gets easier and easier by the day. Thank you for giving me the tools to be a better person.
My daughter and I have both been receiving counseling and I am very pleased as to how far we have come. Our therapist has helped us with many aspects in our lives, above and beyond what we originally were getting counseling for. Our therapist is always so kind and understanding of the situations that we have faced during the time we have been in counseling. I would highly recommend our therapist.
Better than expected
I never have been a real believer in therapy and all that psycho babble so when I found myself depressed because of my divorce and couldn't get out of bed I decided I'd give it a try since I had nothing left to lose. I didn't expect much at all but what I got was better than I ever could have expected. The therapist started out by getting to know me and understanding my resistance to head shrinking. She took her time and was sensitive to my needs. I felt comfortable although it did take a couple of sessions to really get into the meat of my issues and for me to trust it was helping; I found it has worked. I am not cured by any means but I'm working towards being myself again with the therapist helping me.
The therapist was really empathic. The office was nice and peaceful. I felt comfortable to talk my problems openly to her without judgement.
Therapist was very knowledgeable and understanding of my issue. I would definitely recommend them to a friend.
Request an Appointment
Message Sent. Thank you for contacting us. We will be in touch with you shortly.
By appointment, Every Day
- License # MH12356